JNN Group is a Data Governance and Analytics Consulting Firm that specializes in Business Analytics, Data Security & Data Privacy. JNN Group in based in Pasadena, CA.
JNN Group is looking for a for an R or Python Data Scientist for a 3-month contract-to hire full-time engagement.
The candidate must have strong programming and data mining skills with an inherent ability to find, understand and work with large amounts of data and apply machine learning algorithm and statistical methods.
The Data Scientist role includes applying established or developing new programmatic and quantitative methods to find patterns and relationships in large data sets; conducting mathematical, statistical, or other data-driven problem-solving analyses to address business operations or intelligence questions; identifying and collaborating with collectors and analysts to determine the data needed to address intelligence problems; and, incorporating insights and findings into a broad range of well-crafted, sophisticated intelligence products. The full performance level work includes the design, modification, and/or use of scientific computing, programming, and mathematics. The work is performed independently with minimal supervision provided by a Senior Data Scientist.
Primary Skill Set and Responsibilities
This position is responsible to support business analytics activities, including development of statistical models to analyze Accounting, Customer, Operations, Talent Management and Business Processes.
The Data Scientist will:
- Independently compile data to address the most complex intelligence issues or problems for our client
- Identify and network with appropriate internal and external sources to gather and/or exchange data on specialized matters.
- Engage with clients to determine the nature of analytic problems, evaluate options, and offer recommendations for resolution.
- Advise clients on the methods and data needed and/or available to evaluate the intelligence problem.
- With minimal supervision, conceive, prepare, and communicate a wide range of strategic, highly complex graphics, computational models/tools, or written/oral assessments to internal and external customers
- Conceive and prepare thorough, well-argued and authoritative tactical and strategic analytic products (e.g., technical articles, graphic depictions, intelligence reports) summarizing the methods and results of data analyses.
- Play a key role in outreach efforts by collaborating with colleagues to develop customer-tailored products.
- Provide sophisticated briefings that clearly and concisely convey highly technical analytic projects.
- Prioritize and plan research and other projects; establish project goals.
- With minimal supervision, provide accurate, timely, complex and sophisticated data analysis in support of IC initiatives and priorities.
- Determine and employ the most appropriate research design for data collection and analysis.
- Acquire, process, and refine large or complex data sets from various sources; utilizing computer programming where necessary.
- Analyze, evaluate, and assess quantitative data (using statistical software, computer models, geospatial models, software languages, mathematical models) to contribute to or develop software tools, analytic models, or reports.
- Conduct statistical, mathematical, geospatial modeling or data-mining analysis in partnership with other Data Scientist or Analyst colleagues.
- Anticipate and project a wide range of possible outcomes using scenario/alternative analyses, machine learning, and agent based modeling or other advanced analytic techniques.
- Identify, use, and/or develop a wide range of methodologies and analytic tools to address existing or potential intelligence problems and collection strategies;
- At least MA/MS degree with 5 to 7 years of experience
- Quick learner who takes initiative, and attempts to overcome problems independently
- Meticulous and able to present work neatly and without error
- Strong skills with Tableau Software
- Strong Analytical Skills
- Strong Skills with SQL, Microsoft Access, R, VBA for Excel, Python or other scripting languages
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of individual, organizational, technological, or transnational issues of national security concern
- Thorough knowledge of Agency business operations and associated processes.
- Working knowledge of appropriate analytic methods and methodological tools in one or more of the following areas: Applied mathematics (e.g., probability and statistics, formal modeling, computational social sciences)
- Computer programming (e.g., programming languages, math/statistics packages, computer science, machine learning, scientific computing)
- Thorough knowledge of collection methods, capabilities, and tasking process
- Familiarity with project management concepts and principles Intellectual curiosity; creativity and innovation to go beyond current tools to deliver the best solution to complex problem
- Ability to leverage multiple data management tools to organize relevant information and make decisions
- Ability to develop comprehensive software applications, as needed
- Experience in the design, development, coordination, and conduct of research and analysis.
- Proven ability to plan strategically, analyze and assess programmatic initiatives, and report trends impacting mission objectives
- Assist in the evaluation, development, and advancement of programmatic research initiatives, and facilitate coordination of data collection and analysis to enhance program elements.
- Ability to translate complex, technical findings into an easily understood narrative (i.e., tell a story with the data) in graphical, verbal, or written form
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and demonstrated ability to actively participate/contribute in research, filter and synthesize data, and produce clear, logical, and concise products.
- Ability to multitask and change focus quickly as demands change
- Ability work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment
- Ability to establish and maintain internal and external professional networks including subject matter experts, collectors, and decision makers that are necessary to carry out tasks or projects
- Works independently with minimal supervision by first-line supervisor or government client.
- Should have familiarity with the following statistical tools: SAS, R, SPSS, Tableau
With Some Supervision
- Partner with Clients, establish professional relationship, communicate with analytics clients to understand business needs.
- Frame Problems with Stakeholder, research and construct problem frames to understand the analysis context and scope that will provide timely, useful results.
- Work in Project Teams and participate in multidisciplinary analytics project teams
- Interview Subject Matter Experts, plan and conduct individual interviews with experts to gain valid information and data needed for analysis.
- Elicit information from Groups, plan and conduct group elicitation sessions with working groups to develop and assess alternatives, uncertainties, and value and risk preferences.
- Communicate results to Decision Makers, explain the results and conclusions of the analytics process in both written and oral presentations formats
- Create Recommendations that are practiced, actionable, and have material impact, in addition to being well-supported by analytical models and data.
To apply for any of these positions, email a cover letter and your resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.